Greece is arguably one of the world’s top year-round destinations, with spectacular nature, a wealth of culture and history, and exciting places to visit 365 days a year. And with plenty of options to choose from around the capital, you can easily add a fun day tour to your trip even if you’re based in Athens. Our favorite destination for February? None other than the winter wonderland of Arachova!
Nestled on the slopes of the legendary Mount Parnassus, Arachova is the country’s most cosmopolitan winter destination, beloved by Athenians who come here for their winter holidays, short weekend breaks or even just for a day on the slopes. Its close proximity to Athens—just a two-hour drive—makes it ideal, and with so much to offer visitors, Arachova is simply irresistible.
A quintessential Greek small mountain town, Arachova is built at an elevation of approximately 970 m (3182 ft) and boasts breathtaking views across the surrounding countryside. The town itself is picturesque, with gorgeous traditional architecture and cobbled streets and alleyways.
What to See and Do: Explore Arachova
- Wander through the town’s cobbled streets and winding alleyways to get a feel of Arachova’s character: unspoiled, authentic, unique.
- Warm up with a coffee and a sweet at one of the town’s many cafés, or treat yourself to traditionally brewed Greek slow coffee at one of the traditional coffee houses aka kafeneia.
- Visit the town’s Byzantine churches and chapels, and admire their characteristic architecture and well-preserved frescoes.
- Check out the shops and bag some souvenirs! From local delicacies to handicrafts, there’s an excellent selection of small—and large—gifts to choose from.
- Sit down to a delicious meal at one of the local tavernas, and try local cuisine. Winter weekends can be busy, so don’t forget to ask about reservations!
- Enjoy a night out. During the busy winter season, there are plenty of options for going out, whether you prefer a casual evening wine bar or want to dance the night away.
What to See and Do: Explore the Surrounding Area
- Enjoy the luscious nature of Mount Parnassus and explore Parnassus National Park and its breathtaking flora and fauna—a treat even in winter.
- Of course, Mount Parnassus is home to Greece’s best-known ski resort, so hit the slopes and enjoy the snow!
- Take a guided tour of Ancient Delphi, a stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most important and sacred destinations in the ancient world.
- Stroll through one—or more!—of the area’s gorgeous villages including Amfikleia and Pavliani.
- Visit the Monastery of Hosios Loukas, one of the finest monuments of Middle Byzantine architecture and art and a listed UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Take in even more traditional architecture and natural beauty with visits to the nearby town of Livadia and the coastal town of Itea-Galaxidi.
With such a wealth of natural beauty and cultural heritage, the possibilities are limitless. For travelers based in Athens, Discover Greek Culture offers a fantastic day tour that includes visits to the area’s top attractions, including Arachova, the world-famous Delphi archaeological area, and the Monastery of Hosios Loukas.
Just like all our tours, Visions of Ancient Delphi is a private tour that can be fully adapted to your specifications. You can follow the expert-designed itinerary as is or choose to customize one or more aspects of your experience. Just get in touch with a member of our team to explore the options and book the perfect day trip to Greece’s most cosmopolitan winter wonderland!